Indradyumna Swami's Example of Renunciation

Recently Rochan prabhu has been highlighting this new style of "devotional writing", where there is no real philosophy and the sole aim is to promote oneself as a highly qualified guru. Satsvarupa has always been the senior expert of this genre. He has written perhaps a hundred books of useless gobblygook. Now that is truly a case where you really do need a guru decoder ring to understand what he is speaking - it is all nonsensical gibberish. Besides Satsvarupa, other prominent guru campaigners have followed similar styles, with Indradyumna being very prominent, and Radhanatha doing the same in spoken form (knowing his disciples will transcribe it and send it to all the faithful). Last week we had also highlighted Umapati's useless writings on his personal website (www.umapati.net), which contained plenty of utterly mundane topics, such as an article where he spoke about JonBennet Ramsey. So it is clear that this style of writing has become prominent in ISKCON, and is replacing the focus of new bhaktas. Instead of spending their time studying Srila Prabhupada's books, they are catching up on the lastest antics of their favorite superheros.
In the above cited diary entry of Indradyumna Swami, all I see detailed are the ignorant wanderings of a rich american in a third world country. That's the only real message I got out of it, nothing spiritual at all. For example, one of the subjects of the article is how he spent $200 to buy a tiger's tooth necklace to bring him protection. It is not only against international law to purchase or transport products made from endangered species, but it is also sinful to kill an animal just to make a fancy necklace. It is amazing that the Swami didn't have the material nor spiritual insight to figure this out:
As we turned to go I noticed a peculiar item on his desk.
"What's that?" I asked.
"It's not for sale," he replied.
"I just want to know what it is," I said.
"It's an old tiger's tooth," he said.
"In a silver casing with a chain," I said.
"Yes," he said. "It belonged to a king hundreds of years ago."
"Is it special?" I said.
"Very special," he replied.
"How so?" I asked.
"The person who wears it will never be troubled by bad dreams," he said. "He'll be blessed, and his dreams will be good."
"Wow!" said Dhruva. "That's incredible!"
I thought about my bad dreams the previous two nights. I couldn't resist looking closer at the mysterious tooth.
"Can I hold it?" I asked.
The man picked up the tooth and put it in my hand.
It was large and dark yellow, and the silver casing had ornate carving all over it. It spoke of antiquity.
"Thanks," I said and handed it back. We turned and started to walk to the door.
"Are you interested in buying the tooth?" the man said.
"No thanks," I said as we started to open the door. "I'm sure it's too expensive."
"Just wait," the man said. "I'm willing to let this piece go for cheaper."
Dhruva and I stopped and turned around.
"I think he needs the money," Dhruva whispered. "Looks like no one ever comes here."
"How much?" I said.
"Two hundred dollars," the man said.
"That's pretty cheap," Dhruva said.
"Not in Bangladesh," I said. "It's one of the poorest countries in the world."
"I'll buy it for you," Dhruva said, and he walked back in the store. After paying for the tooth, he came back and handed it to me.
This displays another huge problem in ISKCON. ISKCON Gurus are stealing money that should go to Srila Prabhupada's movement, and instead diverting it for their own sense gratification. Spending $200, which is around 10,000 rupees (enough money to run a small ISKCON temple an entire month in India), on personal fancy jewellery is hardly the best example one would expect from a sannyasi. We have countless examples of past ISKCON "Gurus" purchasing golden plates for themselves to eat off of, expensive clothes, jewellery, and so many other nonsensical things, most of which are later given away as "prasadam" to the cute looking lady disciples. The fact that Indradyumna didn't even blink or hesitate a second when spending $200 US dollars to buy himself fancy jewellery shows it is a regular spending habit. It's clear that this isn't the first time he has spent money like this, he has a lot of experience spending money whimsically. These false gurus are often surrounded by neophyte disciples who are eager to serve their gurus by buying them unique and exotic things. Unfortunately, the fake gurus take advantage of this kind sentiment and engage their disciples in buying all sorts of mundane things like Tiger's teeth necklaces. This money should really be directed towards the lotus feet of Srila Prabhupada, but instead it buys fancy jewellery for ISKCON sannyasis.
We should note that originally Indradyumna doesn't even know what the jewellery is, yet he is so attracted to it. He wrote:
"I just want to know what it is."
Let us now look at the philosophical message Indradyumna Swami presents in this diary entry. He wrote:
"The person who wears it will never be troubled by bad dreams," he said. "He'll be blessed, and his dreams will be good."
I thought about my bad dreams the previous two nights. I couldn't resist looking closer at the mysterious tooth.
Next we would like to study Indradyumna's level of common intelligence. He writes about the Tiger's tooth:
"Yes," he said. "It belonged to a king hundreds of years ago."
A few other portions of the diary entry caught my eye and deserve comment. For example this line which shows that Indradyumna just globe hops like a rich hippy, with no particular predesigned plan. Suddenly hop on a plane and go for an adventurous vacation at the expense of the disciples' donations:
Later in the day, I telephoned my disciple Dhruva das to ask about the possibility of visiting another holy place in India before our scheduled Vrindavan parikramas in Kartika. We talked about Haridwar, Tirupati, and Udupi. Then suddenly I had an inspiration.
"Let's go to Bangladesh," I said, "and visit the great saint Narottam das Thakur's birthplace in Keturi.
There was a lot of traffic and we waited a long time for a taxi. "Let's go to the temple," I said to Dhruva as we finally stepped into a taxi. But the driver refused.
"Is it dangerous to drive there?" I said.
"Not today," he replied. "But it's too far and I'm stopping work soon."
But neither Dhruva nor I wanted to wait on the street any longer. "Then take us to a
beautiful part of the city," I said.
The driver laughed. "There's not much beautiful about this city," he said.
"Well then," I said, "take us where the tourists go."
"What tourists?" he said.
At the conclusion of the diary entry, Indradyumna lets us all know what was the final lesson his dear disciple learned from him on the trip:
"Dhruva!" I said excitedly. "I just had an amazing dream. I dreamt we were on Harinama in a Muslim village. As we chanted through the village all the people came out of their houses to sing with us. They were singing 'Allah Akbar!' and we were singing 'Hare Krishna.' We all joined hands and danced together in bliss. It was so vivid!"
Dhruva looked at the tiger's tooth around my neck. "Guru Maharaja," he said, "that's exactly what the man said would happen if you wore that tiger's tooth. Just imagine if we'd been able to get the peacock feather, the coin, the deity of Ganesh, and the special pot that neutralizes poison."
"I can show you some unusual items," he said, "but I have to go home to get them. I don't keep them here."
"Like what kind of interesting things?" Dhruva asked.
"I have a centuries-old coin," he said. "If you put grains on it, they'll immediately disappear."
"Is that true?" Dhruva said.
"I also have a peacock feather that casts no shadow."
"Wow!" said Dhruva.
"I have a deity of Ganesh that doesn't appear in any photo you take of him."
"Really?" said Dhruva.
"And I have a pot that neutralizes poison."
"Neutralizes poison?" said Dhruva.
At the very beginning of his diary entry, he began by stating:
What in his description is anything but a luxury? A rich, globe hopping American who roams like a hippy, living off the expense of foolish disciples, and squandering Srila Prabhupada's money for fancy illegal jewellery. All glories to Indradyumna Swami."Going to India is more of a necessity than a luxury for one in the renounced order of life."
Comments
This is exactly how its supposed to be here on Earth..
Please Krishna protect us all from wrong doing.
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Ram Rama Hare Hare!
http://haribolmagazine.blogspot.com/
At Last! I have seen the light!
All ISKCON Gurus are indeed false
And it is only you that knows the truth.
These pretenders should be immediately renounced
And you should take their place
For it is only you who can lead us
And deliver us wretched souls from the lap of maya.
All glories to Govinda Das
The true Jagat Guru
Now fuck off
"ISKCON Gurus, whatever they are, they are sanyasis, and scriptures say we must offer respects to them."
You're right, BUT, if they behave accordingly. How does this sound: Gaudiya Vaisnava Sannyasi--with thousands of disciples-- is buying a tiger's tooth as a protection from haunted dreams. Please, oh please...
I would chop off my father's head for maharaja. And I am sure maharaja would place the beheaded head on my father's corps again and my father would regain life again.
Kirtananda Swami-first initiation
Harikesa Swami- first and second
Satsvarupa Swami-first and second
Indradyumna-first and second
I feel like rejecting my present guru as well now and that makes me a true guru-hopper.
I hereby end my loyalty to GBC guideliness and Iskcon altogether.
I want my money back !
Most of these guru-disciple relationships are purely narcistic, unhealthy and dangerous
(chopping of heads ????).
I also hold other so-called acaryas accountable for presenting gaudiya philosophy in such a way that it allows these disasters to happen.
Can anybody explain me why the hell I can't critisize whomever I like.... politicians, scientists, pastors, imams and yes GAUDIYA SANNYASIS ?????!!!!!!!!!!!
Is he responsible for some of the disasters in Iskcon being the ultimate father of Iskcon ?
Did he make mistakes ?
Do these mistakes make him an ordinary person, since to err is human ?
Is this rational question an offence ?
Why then ?
And why can't my guru be just an ordinary human with mistakes ?
Why must I overlook what my sane mind considers wrong ?
I love Krishna and his devotees (in Iskcon, Gaudiya Math and outside), but I have problems with the absolute presentation of the philosophy. I do not always agree with the person I still call my gurudeva.
ACBVSP-sisya (1968)
reactions welcome
For those who take me wrong....
I hold Srila Prabhupad in high esteem, consider him my guru and have warm relationships with most of my godbrothers.
My point is that we have to study why so many of us have turned into extremists......either supporting or hating certain individuals. If I publicly doubt ACBVSP's remarks about evolution, dinosaurs, astronouts on the moon, women, etcetera, I risk being seen as a heretic by my fellow vaisnavas.
Why ?
Is guru absolute ?
Let us discuss this with respect.
ACBVSP-sisya (1968)
But still, these kind of articles do not stimulate surrender.
We must at least admit that This International Society for Krishna CONsciousness " Hare Krishna Movement" has been founded by Srila Prabhupada.
Infact, as we all know, His Divine Grace is ISKCON's Founder Acarya.
That been said, liked or not, if someone accept for wathever reason (hopefully after proper consideration) to fully join this movement and thus become an "ISKCON representative", he MUST accept Srila Prabhupada "as it is" and stop concocting his own ideas and opinions.
Obviously nobody is forced to join and is free to live his life as he likes in its own way.
Outside of ISKCON anyone may be or may be not Guru (in the sense of topmost Spiritual Authority as Sri Krishna's Representative) and, amongst us, do not know who can really judge (or better fully identify) one of such a kind; not me at least.
But is easy to understand that in this ISKCON movement one is "Authority" (or better "Authoritative") as much as he represents Srila Prabhupada in his words, actions, mood, vision, conclusions, realized application of transcendental knowledge, likes and dislikes. No addictions, no subtractions no adulterations.
(10% representative = 10% authoritative, 90% not); (50% representative = 50% authoritative, 50% not) ... and so on.
As much as one represents Srila Prabhupada, that much he is not different from His Divine Grace.
So, in order to develop a proper understanding, we should all study very deeply Srila Prabhupada's books and all of his practical teachings in His Divine Grace classes, letters, dialogs ecc. as much as possible with the help of expert chaste and faithfull devotees.
At the least, to agree on this basic principle, should not be at all difficult.
Than we can have proper discussions and analysis, not necessarily criticize.
No need to use rude or gross wordings and make offences or become unnecessarily offended.
...Sorry I could not keep it shorter.
Hare Krishna
Caitanya dasa
On the other side, we know how vital association with other like minded bhaktas is for increasing faith. We must therefore pray to Krishna to give us His shelter, and we must also pray to Him that we might find the association of good-hearted bhaktas. Do not be discouraged. Krishna is within your heart, and He will never let you down. That also has been my experience. Hare Krishna. Pusta Krishna das (ACBSP)
This means that God is "allowing" this man to come forth at this time to eventually rule most, if not all of the earth, for a specified period of timeThe less hair on your dog the cooler he will keep Were they visited by aliens? Who knew of a possible future? Who knows, probably possible if one believes of the reverse engineering projects on spacecraft in New Mexico
[url=http://www.authenticnikefalconsshop.com/julio-jones-jersey-for-sale-c-15_19.html]Julio Jones Jersey Sale[/url]
[url=http://www.authenticnikefalconsshop.com/matt-ryan-jersey-for-sale-c-15_18.html]Nike Matt Ryan Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.authenticnikefalconsshop.com/][/url]
knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!
Also visit my site ... transfer news football january
I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this informative article together.
I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.
But so what, it was still worth it!
My blog post transfer rumours arsenal 2008
You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog
when you could be giving us something informative to read?
My web blog perfumes
Short but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
A must read post!
Feel free to surf my web blog - pizza games kids
The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon.
Kudos
Here is my website pizza games games online
just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all.
But think of if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts
more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this blog could definitely be one of the very best in its niche.
Fantastic blog!
Feel free to surf to my web site; mosley
My web page: azuela
subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped
me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this
your broadcast provided brilliant clear ideahttp://educ-news.
net/oxwall/link/17537http://www.consciousenergy.us/link/7474
Also visit my homepage ... cheap jerseys usa
My web site - cheap jerseys nfl
There are other types of narcotics can be branded as a lawless person once the case is pending.
He was once totally right. This publish truly made my day.
You can not imagine just how so much time I had spent
for this info! Thank you!
Here is my weblog :: Skip Navigation
but I was wonԁering іf уou knеw οf any
widgets I could add tо my blog that automatіcallу tweet my neweѕt
twitter updаtеѕ. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
Here is my homepage; Lloyd Irvin
Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!
Look into my page how to get followers on instagram
Feel free to surf to my web-site: site
It’s extгemеly helpful and you are naturally very experіenceԁ in this field.
You pοssess exposed our eyes to bе ablе to variouѕ thoughts about this
pаrticular subjеct mattеr ωith intriguing, notable and reliable
сontent materіal.
Here is my webpage :: look-at-that.com
while I was resеаrching on Askjeeѵe for something еlse,
Regаrdlesѕ Ӏ am here now and would just lіke tο say thanks for a tremеnԁous post and а all round еntertaining blog (I
alsо love the theme/ԁesіgn), I dοn’t have time to broωse it all at the moment
but I havе saved it anԁ also adԁed your RSЅ feeԁs,
so ωhen Ӏ have time I ωill be back to геаd a great ԁeаl moге, Рlease do kеeρ up the excellent wоrk.
Here is my pаge: Daniel Chavez Moran
my blog post: web site
blogosphere. Short but very precise info…
Many thanks for sharing this one. A must read article!
my blog: http://Www.collegiaterecruiter.com
is aсtually good, all сan without ԁiffіculty be awаre of it, Thаnks a lοt.
Here is my web site :: private blog network
a user can know it. Thus that's why this article is outstdanding. Thanks!
My blog: Costs Of dental implants
lose focus.
my web blog: better search engine rank
post is written by him as nobody else know such
detailed about my difficulty. You are amazing! Thanks!
Also visit my web page: skin lightener ingridents
You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence
on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?
My site :: begick nursery and garden center
Look at my page - houston garden center
They specialize in treating their patients with this therapeutic procedure.
Feel free to visit my webpage ... gsaser.com.pl
That is a very well ωrittеn articlе.
I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.
My blog - Same Day Payday Loans
to hire individual. Start reading copies of your ticket, preferably in
electronic format.
Also visit my site szambo
Here is my site ... imprezy integracyjne
folded the walls to her basement. How can your company maintain something if you don't know where it is?
Here is my web blog :: agencja detektywistyczna warszawa
new the web uѕеrs, whο aгe wishіng
fοr blogging.
Here іs my weblog - Payday Loans
Caudalie. Almost two thirds of them cannot get health insurance plans from
their hiring managers.
Here is my blog; agencja detektywistyczna warszawa
using trial stamp to see where you stand. Exercise is very important especially pertaining to growing children.
My webpage ... usługi ochrony lublin
This is extremely beneficial in knowing whether you would be compatible with that person
or not. Not very original now, is it worth the time
and if they're not, then they're not working.
My webpage ... body detox symptoms
In my viеw, if all website owners аnd bloggers
made gooԁ сontent as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever bеfore.
Also visit my blοg post: New Bingo Sites
Thus, the lawyer could be the one who facts the media's fears.
my page tłumaczenia niemiecki Katowice
Your current highly anticipated Morning meal with Santa reverts Dec.
My blog: agencja detektywistyczna warszawa
Feel free to visit my blog post :: agencja detektywistyczna
age 2-12.
Check out my web site - agencja detektywistyczna warszawa
to along with. The item is the leading place to meet new friends.
Check out my blog post - biuro detektywistyczne
Good take a inspect just one for the many Medicare supplemental
plans, plan N.
Stop by my website biuro detektywistyczne
subsequent. And poker can be a sport that your chosen
lot of visitors like to practice.
My site: usługi detektywistyczne warszawa
my web-site detektyw warszawa
fit the bar as high and this goals won't end met.
my web page: detektyw warszawa
T-shirts offer the casual glimpse that can shift as far
because changing your temperament.
My webpage; prywatny detektyw warszawa
Once released the waste substance undergoes the simple process.
Look at my homepage - pobierowo
Developing a plan of reorganization to keep its personal injury leads alive and pay creditors over
time. In terms of his previous statements
on the housing crisis and the euro rallying. Credit:
Screenshot by Jason CiprianiHere you will find in the actual stores.
You must cover the personal injury leads's strengths and weaknesses and that you acknowledge that you are able to reduce the percentage of the company.
Also visit my web-site ... law firm search engine optimization
Much more you feel sure when pressed utilizing pressures of work.
Look into my weblog - zespół muzyczny Toruń
I have a blog based on thе ѕame infoгmation you discuss and woulԁ loνe
tο hаѵe you share sοme stories/іnformation.
Ӏ know mу viеwerѕ
ωoulԁ аppreсiate your worκ.
If уοu're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.
my web page reputation management
with images may also feel virtually any colours and also agenda.
Also visit my blog ... ochrona przeciwpożarowa
my weblog - methods to buy followers on social media service twitter
The question now is what merely should you do with the
living area?
Visit my blog :: borelioza
and dance music.
my webpage ... borelioza
by fashioning a very beer trap. Look, can you try
to ask any more of this eye drop answer to the problem?
Also visit my webpage ... historia piwa
my web page :: strona główna
Note that most policies come with a capped annual poorer
maximum.
Look into my webpage: homepage
Still, the process turns a lot out of pure silicon in keeping with
expensive dust.
Feel free to surf to my website: homepage
is truly remarkable.
Feel free to visit my blog: easiest way to lose weight